Riding Establishment Licence

If you let out horses for hire or you give horse riding lessons then you are required to be licensed by the council.

Persons who run riding establishments are required to be licensed to ensure that people are not put at risk from their activities and that the welfare of the horses is maintained.

How to apply for a licence

A fee will be payable on application.  The application involves an inspection of the premises by a veterinary surgeon, this will be arranged by Ribble Valley Council. The full cost of the vet's fees will be recovered from the applicant.

A licence will be valid for a year from the date of issue, after which a new application must be made to continue operating.

You can apply for a licence through the GOV.UK website:

Health and safety in horse riding establishments and livery yards

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) has published a new guidance document for people working in horse riding schools and livery yards in order to help them improve and implement safe working practices. Read the guidance document Health and safety in horse riding establishments and livery yards: What you should know.

How to apply


Share this page: