Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Coronavirus cases are on the rise in Lancashire – get vaccinated, get tested and #LetsKeepLancashireSafe. Further information: Help and advice: Ribble Valley Community Hub (01200 414597)

Coronavirus Information

Bulky Waste and Special Collections

Bulky household waste

If your furniture, furnishings (including selected white goods and electrical goods), are still in a good condition they can be donated.

Recycling and reusing items can help people in need who may not be able to afford to buy brand new items.

Charities and not for profit community based organisations are always on the lookout for good quality household items that can be reused for emergency re-homing of vulnerable people or sold through their shops. Most even offer to collect large items free!

For a list of organisations that collect items see Donating Items to Charity and Community Organisations.

How to Book a Special Collection

We offer a collection service for the disposal of large items of furniture and domestic appliances. There is a charge for this service. Contact 01200 425111 to book a special collection. You will be given a price for the collection of the items and can pay directly over the phone when you book or visit the Council Offices and pay in person. We will not be able to collect your items until we have received payment. We aim to collect items within 10 working day of receiving payment. Unfortunately we are unable to give you a time or date for collection. Collection times vary depending on the demand for the service.

Items for collection must be left outside the property in an easily accessible place. We cannot enter a property to collect items.

If the refuse vehicle cannot drive to the items you must let us know at the time of booking.

We will only pick up the items you have requested.

During busier times we will not be able to add any additional items if a request is made after the original booking has been received.

Unfortunately we are not able to offer refunds on this service.

There is a minimum charge of £17.00 for up to four items (each additional item will be charged at £4.75 per item.)

What we are able to collect (1 item):

Audio equipment






Hi Fi





Tea chest



Bedside cabinet

Computer workstation


Wardrobe/tall boy (freestanding)

DVD player


Wall unit



Chest of drawers

Lino cut into pieces





Display/cabinet unit

Bag of clothing (3 bags)


Shelving unit

Bedding (3 bags)





Dressing table




Trampolines (small indoor)


Small tools



Garden heater (without gas bottle)

Children’s toys


Lawn mower

Child’s playthings


Loungers/garden furniture



Aluminium steps/ladders

Radiator (not oil filled)


Wooden bird table (see exclusions)

Fire (gas/electric)


Garden items (see exclusions)






Standard light




White goods


Small fish tanks







Multiple Items:



Bed base single

1 item


Bed base double

2 items


Freezer small

1 item


Freezer large

2 items


Fridge freezer

1 item


Fridges small

1 item


Fridges (large American style)

2 items


Cooker (range cookers)

2 items



1 item


Chair and/or Armchair – non recliner

1 item


Carpet or underlay cut into pieces:

  Small room

  Medium room

  Large room


1 item

2 items

3 items


Green/garden waste (can’t be recycled):

3 bin liners


1 item


Mattress single

1 item


Mattress double

2 items



2 items



1, 2, 3 or 4 items


Stacking garden chairs

1 item


The Council is unable to collect any commercial fridge/freezer.

The items below may need to be assessed (but based on the rate of £51.00 per hour):

  • Plastic guttering
  • Boilers (small domestic)
  • Drain pipes
  • Storage heater (with bricks removed)
  • Fire surround
  • Dismantled Trampoline (size approx. 10ft, up to 12ft diameter £51)
  • Fixed units kitchen, bedroom and bathroom excluding glass shower cubicles
  • Wood (if not treated)
  • Yard clearances (Building Maintenance Team)
  • Metals
  • Reclining chairs – single or multiple

Examples of What We Are Not Able to Take – Exclusions

Hazardous waste



Car parts

Fluorescent tubes and lightbulbs

Concrete posts

Oils and chemicals

Fence panels – treated wood

Paint all types and thinners


Builders waste

Greenhouses & sheds – treated wood


Garage doors

Gas bottles and cylinders

Sun beds

Oil filled radiators


Bunkers (concrete, asbestos or asbestos lined metal)


Glass (greenhouse glass or windows)


Glass shower cubicle


Alternatively you can take these items to your local tip (Housing Waste and Recycling Centre).

Construction and Demolition (Inert) Waste

From 1 June 2015, you will need an inert waste permit to deposit waste such as soil, rubble, plasterboard, bricks, tiles, concrete etc at one of Lancashire County Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).  For further information and prices see Lancashire County Council Inert Waste.

Asbestos Removal

The Council does not remove asbestos and asbestos should never be put in your bin for collection.

Householders can take small amounts of asbestos to the tip but it will only be accepted if wrapped in heavy duty polythene sheets.  Asbestos wrapping materials are provided free of charge (in limited quantities) for householders and can be collected from the tip. Small pieces of asbestos should be double-bagged and securely sealed. Phone before vising the tip with your asbestos:

Henthorn Household Waste Recycling Centre – 0300 123 6781 (LCC waste helpline);

or alternatively visit their website:

Chapel Hill, Longridge, does not accept asbestos.

Lancashire County Council operates 15 Household Waste Recycling Centres throughout Lancashire where householders can recycle their rubbish

Commercial Vehicles

Certain commercial vehicles or trailers must obtain a permit from Lancashire County Council before visiting a HWRC.

Share this page: