Residents needing additional support or wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community should call 01200 414597. For business rates please use 01200 414450

Coronavirus information

Electrical Safety - Building Regulations

Electrical safety in households

All new electrical wiring in dwellings, extensions and outbuildings need to comply with Building Regulation requirements and must be carried out by persons who are competent to do the work. Failure to obtain the necessary documentation to certify new or altered electrical circuits could result in enforcement action being taken against the householder.

All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling will need to be either carried out by a fully qualified electrical contractor who is registered within a "Competent Persons Scheme" run by one of five professional bodies or, installed by a person who will obtain a test and installation certificate and provide the necessary documentation to the Local Authority. Persons registered under the "Competent Persons Scheme" will be fully qualified electrical contractors with the ability to install and thoroughly check a circuit for safety. They will be able to issue Building Regulations Certificates showing compliance with part P to the Local Authority.

The new electrical safety law - Part P

This comes into force on this date which aims to tighten up electrical safety in the home by clamping down on unqualified electricians and on DIY homeowners doing unsafe electrical work.

Part P of the Building Regulations requires that fixed electrical installations (i.e. wiring) in dwellings shall be suitably designed, installed, inspected and tested so as to provide reasonable protection against the installation becoming the source of a fire or a cause of injury to persons.

If you decide to go ahead

All proposed electrical installation work in dwellings (including extensions and detached buildings) needs to be notified to the Local Authority under Building Regulations before work commences unless the proposed work is to be undertaken by a prescribed competent person (an individual or a firm authorised by the Secretary of State to self-certify compliance with The Building Regulations.

Small jobs such as replacing a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to a building control body (although all electrical work within kitchens and bathrooms will require formal certification).

Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians

General guidance - For general guidance and information in easy to understand formats

To notify us of electrical work please use the Part P Supplementary Building Regulation application form

For more information download our information leaflets for building regulations electrical safety.

Share this page: