Coronavirus - Basic Guide for Taxi Drivers / Operators
Customers allowed on journeys (operators / drivers encouraged to ask)
- Ask customer if they or anyone in their household have had coronavirus symptoms in the last 14 days?
Social distancing advice
- Limit the number of customers travelling within the vehicle and ideally from the same household
- Request customers to sit in the back of the vehicle
- Ask customers with luggage / bags to put in the boot themselves. Only assist if they are struggling by asking customers to leave next to the boot and observe social distancing guidelines before supporting them.
- If you take a break at your operators’ base, follow social distancing guidelines, stay away from other drivers and have no more than two drivers in at any one time.
Hygiene / safety advice for drivers
- Avoid cash payments and take card payments, where possible.
- Wash your hands before beginning work thoroughly, using soap and water and as often as possible throughout the day
- Use and dispose of face coverings and gloves safely and properly.
- wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before putting a face covering on, and after removing it
- when wearing a face covering, avoid touching your face or face covering, as you could contaminate them with germs from your hands
- change your face covering if it becomes damp or if you’ve touched it
- continue to wash your hands regularly
- change and wash your face covering daily
- if the material is washable, wash in line with manufacturer’s instructions. If it’s not washable, dispose of it carefully in your usual waste
- For further guidance look at this website: https://theshuttle.org.uk/make-it-wear-it-wash-it/
- Carry hand gel with you at all times and use regularly throughout the day if handwashing facilities are not available
- Carry disposable tissues and a plastic bag with you to catch coughs and sneezes and dispose in a plastic carrier after use. Have these available for customers too. Dispose on daily basis or every few hours.
- Avoid using air conditioning within the vehicle and open windows to help air circulation.
- Avoid any skin contact with customers.
Cleaning your vehicle and dispose of waste
- Wipe down all door handles (internal / external), seat belt clips using anti-bacterial wipes / disinfectant spray with cloth prior to beginning work and especially after each journey.
- Clean your driver door, steering wheel, gear stick, switches and other areas you touch on a regular basis.
- Dispose of waste safely in a bin and wash your hands again thoroughly.
- If you share the vehicle with another driver, thoroughly clean the car before you pass it on.
- Always wash your hands after cleaning your vehicle.
- Public Health England have provided guidance about Coronavirus (COVID-19) cleaning of non- healthcare settings
Operator staff and guidance
The government has published transport guidance on the safe provision of transport services during the COVID-19 pandemic. It's important you review and implement government guidance if you're operating a taxi or private hire vehicle business, or are a self-employed driver.
- Regularly clean all contact points with anti-bacterial wipes / disinfectant spray with cloth (telephones, surfaces, door handles and other areas)
- Display posters regarding hand hygiene and social distancing
- Make provisions for staff to observe social distancing guidelines or install screens wherever possible and clean regularly.
- Provide hand gels for staff or encourage them to bring their own.
- Limit customers entering booking office if a ‘walk-in’ office is provided.
- Install screens between staff and customers and clean regularly.
Supporting passengers with accessibility issues
Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle drivers are still under the same obligation to provide reasonable assistance and make reasonable adjustments for disabled passengers. The guidance for operators includes advice on measures that workers and passengers can take when it is not possible to maintain the recommended social distance.
New rules requiring passengers to wear a face covering on their journey came into force on public transport across England from Monday 15 June 2020. Although the regulations exclude taxi and private hire vehicles, the ‘Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer travel guidance for passengers’ advises that taxi and private hire passengers ‘should’ wear face coverings, and that drivers ‘may be entitled to refuse’ to carry passengers without one. The guidance for operators states that ‘a taxi driver may refuse to accept passengers if they are not wearing a face covering’. This decision should be based on an operators own assessment of risk and made clear to passengers before the operator accepts the booking. This does not however absolve you of your duties under the Equality Act 2010.
For more information please visit Coronavirus (COVID-19): taxis and PHVs.
NHS test and trace service
If you experience coronavirus symptoms:
- You must self-isolate for at least 7 days. Anyone else in your household must self-isolate for 14 days from when you started having symptoms
- Order a test immediately at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus or call 119 if you have no internet access
- If your test is positive, you must complete the remainder of your 10-day self-isolation. Anyone in your household must also complete self-isolation for 14 days from when you started having symptoms. If your test is negative, you and other household members no longer need to self-isolate
- if you test positive for coronavirus, the NHS test and trace service will send you a text or email alert or call you with instructions of how to share details of people with whom you have had close, recent contact and places you have visited.
More details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works
Assistance for business
A full range of business support measures have been made available to UK businesses, the following link provides you with details on how to access the support that has been made available, who is eligible, when the schemes open and how to apply https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/financial-support-for-businesses- during-coronavirus-covid-19
For further guidance and advice, please refer to government website or Council website.
- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-transport-guidance-for- operators/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-transport-guidance-for-operators
- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-those-affected-by-covid-19/support-for-those- affected-by-covid-19
- https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/financial-support-for-businesses-during-coronavirus-covid- 19
- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/review-of-two-metre-social-distancing-guidance/review-of- two-metre-social-distancing-guidance