Business and Charity Support
Applications for Round 3 Discretionary Business Grants Now Open
We know this is a very worrying time for businesses and their employees and we recognise the sacrifices and changes people must make in the current emergency.
However, there will be an end to coronavirus so it's important that, once we get through this period our businesses are in the best possible position to move forward.
We welcome the various government announcements of support for businesses.
If your business is struggling to pay your business rates we want you to get in touch with us as quickly as possible. We are here to listen to your individual circumstances and will consider alternative payment arrangements. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org providing us with as much information as possible regarding your circumstances.
We are committed to keep you updated with all the latest information through our website and social media channels.
In response to the Coronavirus, the Government have announced support for small businesses, and businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors.
- Small Business and Retail, Leisure and Hospitality Grants
- Local Authority Discretionary Grants Fund
- Expanded Business Rates 100% Discount 2020-21 for Retail, Leisure and Hospitality ratepayers.
- Nursery Discount 2020/21
- Charities and Community Groups
- Coronavirus Bounce Back Loan
- Social distancing posters/notices
- Health and Safety Advice
For more information please visit the government's website - COVID-19: Support for Businesses
We are pleased that the Government announced grant support for eligible Small Businesses and also eligible businesses in the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Sectors. The detailed guidance for these grants can be found on the Small Business Grant Fund and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund Guidance.
If you feel your business meets the criteria set out in the guidance please complete the Business Rates Coronavirus Grant form. Email the completed form to email@example.com or post to Ribble Valley Borough Council, Business Rates Section, Council Offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe. BB7 2RA
Please ensure that the form is fully completed as otherwise this could delay payment.
For more information see Business Support Grant FAQs.
Applications for Round 3 Discretionary Business Grants Now Open
The Government has made £867,750 additional funding available to allow us to further support small businesses that have been affected by COVID19 but are outside the scope of the existing small business grants scheme and retail, hospitality and leisure scheme.
We are inviting applications to determine the number of businesses that could be eligible, subject to meeting other criteria. We aim to award grants of £25,000, £10,000 or between £500 and £10,000 but this will depend on the applications received
Eligible businesses must have been trading on 11 March 2020.
In-line with government guidance the following organisations will be prioritised:
- Local charities that specifically support residents of the Ribble Valley and meet the guidance criteria
- Bed and Breakfast accommodation (excluding Airbnb) identified as paying council tax not business rates
- Shared spaces (e.g. multiple works spaces with one rateable value assessment) that meet the small business criteria and can provide evidence of significant on-going fixed property related costs eg rent
- Regular market traders who do not have their own business rate assessment.
The Council has decided that priority will be given to independent businesses that are within the retail, hospitality and leisure sector or who predominately supply to this sector, tourism sector or support the tourism sector and children's nurseries in receipt of the nursery discount and:
- who were on the rating list on 11 March 2020;
- can evidence significant financial loss as a result of the COVID-19 crisis;
- employ up to 49 staff;
- are not eligible under the national priorities grant scheme
To ensure the discretionary grants are awarded to those small businesses most impacted by COVID-19 an assessment will be undertaken against these criteria:
- Did the business/organisation:
- Close fully due to COVID-19 measures
- Close partially due to COVID-19 measures
- Remain open during the COVID-19 measures
- Scale of the business fixed on-going property costs
- Number of employees affected
- Scale of the financial impact of COVID-19 had on income.
This grant funding is for organisations that are not eligible for other support schemes. Organisations which have received cash grants from any central Government scheme are ineligible for funding from the Discretionary Grants Fund eg:
- Small Business Grant Fund
- Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant
- The Fisheries Response Fund
- Domestic Seafood Supply Scheme (DSSS).
- The Zoos Support Fund
- The Dairy Hardship Fund
Businesses with no significant ongoing fixed property related costs will not be eligible under this scheme eg mobile businesses, businesses based from a home address with the exception of bed and breakfasts.
Companies that are in administration, are insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made either at the time of submitting your allocation or when a grant payment is made, are not eligible for funding under this scheme.
Organisations who have applied for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme are eligible to apply for this scheme.
For more details please refer to Discretionary Business Rate Grant Allocation Scheme 2020/21.
We will only accept applications via the online application process.
Before starting your application you will need:
- Business name and address
- VAT registration number (if applicable)
- Company registration number (if applicable)
- Charity registration number (if applicable)
- Details of average monthly income and expenditure prior to COVID-19
- Details of average monthly income and expenditure post COVID19
- Copies of bank statements
- Business bank sort code
- Business bank account number
- Business bank account name
The application period for Window 1 is now closed.
The application period for Window 2 is now closed.
In rounds 1 and 2, 83 small businesses qualified for support and were given grants totalling £404,500.00.
Application Round 3 is now open and will remain open until Thursday 20th August 12 noon or when funds have been fully allocated if that is earlier. Please note this is the FINAL ROUND and applications will be dealt with on a first come, first served basis, so DO NOT DELAY. Any applications received after remaining grant funding has been allocated will not be successful.
Addendum - Round 3
In this round we now also invite applications from independent, locally owned businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above who serve in the retail, hospitality and leisure industry and are in receipt of the extended retail discount on their business rates bill. Please note this excludes supermarkets.
Please complete the Business Support Local Authority Discretionary Grant form
You can view the latest Ribble Valley Borough Council Discretionary Grant Fund Allocation Policy.
You do not need to employ Rating Agents or other organisations outside of the Council to claim the support that is available. These agents will probably take a percentage of any relief or grant they claim on your behalf. Please be extra careful with what you sign and seek further advice before entering into any contract.
The Government will not accept deliberate manipulation and fraud - and any business caught falsifying their records to gain additional grant money will face prosecution and any funding issued will be subject to claw back.
We will use the information provided to assess applications for financial support. We may share the information provided with other organisations or agencies to confirm information account validity and identity.
Please note any canvassing of officers or members would result in an application being refused.
The Government have announced a 100% Business Rates Discount for 2020-21 for certain ratepayers in the Retail, Leisure and Hospitality sectors. Detailed guidance can be found at Expanded Retail Discount 2020/21.
Those ratepayers who already receive a Retail Discount do not need to do anything as a revised bill will be issued to you.
If you are not currently in receipt of the Retail Discount and believe your business meets the criteria set out in the guidance please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This relief applies to hereditaments occupied by providers on Ofsted’s Early Years Register and wholly or mainly used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage and which are subject to business rates in the year 2020/21. There will be no rateable value limit on the relief. Detailed guidance can be found at Nursery Discount 2020/21 Coronavirus Response.
Ratepayers do not need to take any action as the relief will be automatically granted where possible and a revised bill issued.
For more information please contact email@example.com or 01200 414450.
Locality is providing information on funding available to charities and community groups. For more information see https://locality.org.uk/services-tools/resources/coronavirus-covid-19-information-and-support/covid-19-funding/
As a result of the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak the Community Foundation for Lancashire has launched the Lancashire COVID-19 Community Support Fund for community and voluntary organisations on the frontline. For more information see https://lancsfoundation.org.uk/funds/lancashire-covid-19-community-support-fund
You can apply for a loan if your business:
- is based in the UK
- has been negatively affected by coronavirus
Who cannot apply
The following businesses are not eligible to apply:
- banks, insurers and reinsurers (but not insurance brokers)
- public-sector bodies
- state-funded primary and secondary schools
If you’re already claiming funding
You cannot apply if you’re already claiming under the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS).
If you’ve already received a loan of up to £50,000 under CBILS and would like to transfer it into the Bounce Back Loan scheme, you can arrange this with your lender until 4 November 2020.
How to apply
- The full rules of the scheme and guidance on how to apply is available on the British Business Bank website.
Download posters for businesses who can remain open to use on their premises to help enforce social distancing: Download Covid-19 Social Distancing Posters.
- GOV.UK - working safely during coronavirus COVID-19
- Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - Coronavirus latest information and advice