Coronavirus:

Residents needing additional support or wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community should call 01200 414597. For business rates please use 01200 414450

Coronavirus information

Changes to Voter Registration in Ribble Valley

Published Thursday, 24 July 2014

Sweeping changes to the way Ribble Valley residents register to vote start this summer.

Individual electoral registration, or IER, will be implemented across the UK over the coming months.

At present, one person in every household is responsible for registering voters at their address, but under the new scheme each resident will register individually.

People will be asked to provide identifying information, namely their date of birth and national insurance number, when they register.

This will allow their application to be verified before they are added to the electoral register.

The scheme is the biggest change to electoral registration for over a century and aims to make registration more secure, while protecting against voting fraud. The Electoral Commission believes it will bring voter registration into the 21st century and make it easier, simpler and faster for people to register to vote.

About 80 per cent of residents will be added to the new register automatically without needing to apply at all. For the remaining 20 per cent, registration is expected to take no more than three minutes.

Ribble Valley residents will receive letters outlining the new system over the coming weeks.

Share this page: