Residents needing additional support or wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community should call 01200 414597. For business rates please use 01200 414450

Coronavirus information

Universal Credit Comes to Ribble Valley

Published Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Some new benefits recipients in Ribble Valley will receive “universal credit” from 24 November.

Universal credit is a single payment for people who are unemployed or on a low income.

It aims to help claimants and their families become more independent and simplify the benefits system by combining a range of benefits into a single payment.

It is replacing job seekers allowance, employment and support allowance, income support, working tax credit, child tax credit and housing benefit.

Claims should be made online at from home, libraries, job centres and other community facilities. There is also a public computer at the Ribble Valley Borough Council Offices in Church Walk, Clitheroe, where assistance in completing the form may be available.

Universal credit is only available to single people and couples without children, the unemployed or those on a low income, those over 18 and at least one year from state pension credit age and housing benefit claimants. Other conditions will also be checked at the time of the claim. Families will join the scheme at a later date.

Help with paying council tax will continue to be administered by Ribble Valley Borough Council.

Further details are available from

Share this page: