Residents needing additional support or wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community should call 01200 414597. For business rates please use 01200 414450

Coronavirus information

Licence Reminder Over Kennels and Catteries

Published Friday, 07 July 2017

Animal enthusiasts in Ribble Valley are reminded that they need a licence to run a boarding kennel or cattery.

If you provide accommodation for other people’s dogs or cats, you will need an annual licence, even if you only look after a small number of pets in your own home.

To obtain a licence, you will need show that the animals are kept in suitable accommodation, provided with adequate food, drink and bedding; regularly exercised, safeguarded in an emergency and protected from infectious disease, including if necessary in isolation facilities.

You will also need to keep a register available for inspection by a vet or council officer containing a description of all the animals you have kept, their arrival and departure dates and the name and address of their owners.

You will not be given a licence if you have been banned from keeping a pet shop, or convicted of any other animal welfare offence.

And you can be fined up to £500, imprisoned for up to three months, or both, if you run an animal boarding establishment without a licence, or don’t follow the conditions of your licence.

Further details are available from Ribble Valley Borough Council on 01200 425111.


Share this page: