Residents needing additional support or wanting to volunteer their time or services to help those in need in their local community should call 01200 414597. For business rates please use 01200 414450

Coronavirus information

Ribble Valley Residents Reminded to ‘Check the HEF’

Published Monday, 21 August 2017

Ribble Valley residents are reminded to look out for their voter registration form.

The forms, called household enquiry forms, or HEFs, have recently been delivered to the borough’s 26,000 properties.

Householders are asked to check the forms and, if necessary, update information on the electoral register for their address.

The HEF is an important opportunity for local residents to ensure they have the vote.

Jane Horsfield, Ribble Valley Borough Council’s electoral registration officer, said: “It is important that householders check and return the forms as soon as possible, so we can make sure we have the right details on the electoral register for every address in the borough.

“To make sure you are able to have your say at future elections, simply check the form when it arrives and respond as soon as you can.”

Melanie Davidson, head of support and improvement at the Electoral Commission, added: “It is important that everyone who is entitled to vote is able to do so. Checking the form is one of the easiest ways to find out if you are registered or not.”

Residents who have recently moved address are particularly encouraged to look out for the HEF and check the details.

Research by the Electoral Commission indicates that recent home-movers are less likely to be registered than those that have lived at the same address for a long time.

Across Great Britain, 96 per cent of people who have been at their property for more than 16 years will be registered compared to 27 per cent of people who have lived at an address for less than one year.

To be eligible to register to vote a person must be aged 16 or over (a person may register to vote at 16, but may not vote until they are 18), a British or qualifying Commonwealth citizen who has leave to enter and remain in the UK or does not require such leave, or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member state.

To register to vote, visit, or for further information contact Ribble Valley Borough Council’s electoral registration team on 01200 425111.

Share this page: