It is recommended that you investigate and familiarise yourself with your drainage system and understand where your drains go. You should at least know where the inspection chambers (manholes) are within your garden. If possible, determine this with the previous occupier when you buy a property.

You are responsible for the clearing of blockages and maintenance of the drains serving your property up to the point at which they either combine with someone else's or join the 'adopted' Public Sewer (which normally is under the highway adjacent to your property). 

Who is responsible? 

  • Private Drain - Householder /occupier 
  • Private Sewer - Joint/equal responsibility with other persons above the problem (Combined drain/sewer serving more than one property which is not a public sewer) 
  • Public Sewer - United Utilities (Combined drain/sewer formally adopted by local authority or built before 1937) 

If you are unsure about the drainage serving your property and you have a suspected problem, further advice can be obtained from Environmental Health on 01200 414470.

Drainage Charges

To enquire about the drainage service that the council provides please ring Engineers on 01200 425111.


Jetting charge including call out and first half hour           £108.60
inc. VAT

Normal working hours per half hour                                  £62.80
inc. VAT

Materials                                                                             At Cost

CCTV drain survey including call out and first half hour  £177.10
inc VAT

Our Engineers also hold maps of the adopted Public Sewerage System in Ribble Valley.