Electoral Register

Register to Vote

What is the Electoral register?

The electoral register is a list of everyone entitled to vote. It is important that you register to ensure you get to vote in elections.

It is an offence not to supply the information required, or to give false information.

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors for your area.

To check if you are registered to vote please contact 01200 414411

The registration system changed in June 2014. The new system is called 'Individual Electoral Registration' (IER).

Registering to vote

The changes made in 2014 allows people to take individual responsibility for their vote. It means that people will be required to register to vote individually, replacing the outdated system where a head of household submits and application for registration. 

  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves.
  • You need to provide details to register including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

To register to vote, you must be one of the following:

  • A British citizen
  • An EU citizen resident in the UK
  • A qualifying Commonwealth* citizen, resident in the UK

*a qualifying Commonwealth citizen is someone who has leave to enter or remain in the UK, or does not require such leave.


You can register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

By Post

The best way to apply for a postal vote is online.  A national insurance number is needed to provide proof of identity, together with a signature.

Insert cover link (Apply for a postal vote) and then link to this site: Apply for a postal vote - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Voters can still apply for a postal vote by printing off and completing an application form which can then be sent to the Electoral Services Team, Council Offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe BB7 2RA.

If you need any help when applying, please contact the Electoral Services team: 01200 414411.

Postal voters must reapply to vote by post every 3 years, the Electoral Services Team will contact you when it is time to reapply for your postal vote.

Opting out of the Open Register

We keep two registers the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

Opt out of the open Electoral Register form.

I've moved house / want to register

If you have moved house you will need to register at your new address. The website you need to go to is: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

If you don't have access to the internet please call the Elections Office 01200 414411.

Please note, completing your registration online does not confirm that you are on the register. You will receive a confirmation letter from us, or we will be in touch if we need any further information.

Registering to vote at more than one address

People are usually registered at one address only, which they consider to be their permanent home address. If you are living somewhere temporarily but have a permanent address you should register at the permanent address.

Registering to vote without a fixed address

You can register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. To register you need to give an address where you would be living if it were not for your current situation or an address where you have lived in the past. If you are homeless you can give details of where you spend a substantial part of your time.

For further information about how to register see the Electoral Commission: People with no fixed address

Anonymous registration

Anonymous registration was set up to help individuals whose safety would be at risk (or where the safety of other people at the same address would be at risk) if their name and address was listed on the electoral register – e.g. a person who has fled domestic abuse.

Download the register to vote anonymously application form from GOV.UK.

Overseas voters

If you are an overseas voter you can register in the same way as normal on GOV.UK Register to vote You will need your passport number and the address of where you were last registered to vote in the UK. An overseas registration lasts for a year and will need to be renewed annually. We will get in touch with you when it is time to renew.

Learning disabilities and registering to vote

People with learning disabilities have the same right to vote as everyone else. GOV.UK have produced a step by step easy to read guide to registering to vote for people with a learning disability.

Changing your details

If you need to change your personal details, for example to correct a spelling mistake or change your name, you need to re-register with the correct details through the GOV.UK registration site. You will need your National Insurance number.