Energy Efficiency Advice

Green Homes Grant

The Green Homes Grant is a Government backed scheme delivered by Local Authorities to improve the energy efficiency of eligible homes. The grant helps residents to improve the warmth and comfort of their homes whilst reducing energy bills, carbon emissions and levels of fuel poverty.

Local Authorities in Lancashire have successfully secured £12 million of government funding to install energy saving measures which include:

  • Solid Wall Insulation
  • Air Source Heat Pumps
  • Solar Thermal/Solar PV
  • Loft Insulation
  • Cavity Wall Insulation
  • Under Floor Insulation
  • Room in Roof Insulation
  • Single Glazed Window Upgrades
  • External Door Improvements

Please note this scheme does not cover gas boiler replacements.

The grant is up to £10,000 per property and is free for owner-occupiers. Tenants can apply, with their Landlords permission, but the Landlord will be expected to pay a contribution. To be eligible to apply for the grant you must:

  • Have a household income of less than £30,000 or be in receipt of a relevant benefit
  • Have a property with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Rating of D, E, F or G. If you don’t have an EPC then a survey can be done as part of the scheme.

For more information please go to the Cosy Homes in Lancashire website where you will find the on-line application form, or download the form above.

Advice available

Help and advice is available on:

  • Heating
  • Insulation
  • Fighting fuel poverty

Ribble Valley along with all other local authorities in Lancashire work together as Cosy Homes in Lancashire – CHiL  - to make homes warmer and healthier.  For more information see

Energy Grants

A number of grants are available to owners, private tenants and private landlords.

Grants are available to residents of Ribble Valley. To qualify the home owner / occupier needs to fulfill at least 2 of the following criteria*:

  • In receipt of certain benefits
  • Have diagnosed chronic health condition
  • Have children under school age
  • Are over 65 years of age
  • Low income

All grants are subject to criteria /funding changes, and may not fully cover the cost of the intervention.

Boiler repairs, service and replacement

We offer support for those in need of a new boiler, boiler or central heating service and repairs, or those who need first time central heating (including connection to gas where there is a local supply), subject to the above criteria*.

If you require further information about this service, contact the housing officer on 01200 425111, or CHiL direct through the website at or call 03306 061 488 (calls charged at local rate)

For further information about our partner organisation CHiL and other  Lancashire local authorities involved in this initiative please see the Statement of Intent below:

Cosy Homes in Lancashire (CHiL) Statement of Intent for Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Flexible Eligibility.

Other support to keep you warm

Oil filled radiator loan

If you are without any heating you can request the loan of an oil filled radiator by contacting the housing team on 01200 425111.

Reduce your energy tariff

We can offer help and advice with your energy tariff and provider to ensure that you are with the best and most economical supplier for your circumstances and needs. We can help you switch your energy supplier to save on your fuel bills.

Additional measures that will assist in saving energy and money can be accessed directly from us include:

  • Draught proofing measures
  • Radiator reflectors
  • advice on standard loft and cavity insulation

Hyndburn Homewise

We work very closely with Hyndburn Homewise who are our designated Home Improvement Agency in the Ribble Valley.

They offer many services including:

  • Home Repairs Support Service
  • Recommended Tradesperson list
  • Homesafe Service
  • Handy Person Service
  • Joinery Service
  • Technical Support Service

For further information please contact Homewise direct on 01254 232249 or visit

Government financial help to keep you warm

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free help to pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 October 1954. This known as a Winter Fuel Payment

You could get a £140 discount on your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme . This scheme is likely to end so we advise you apply now!

For more information on help available to keep your home warm please see the Heating & Housing Benefits page at

The Government has announced that £1.8 billion has been awarded to boost energy efficiency and cut emissions. For more information please visit £1.8 billion awarded to boost energy efficiency and cut emissions of homes and public buildings across England

Keeping your house warm through the night

  • Try to keep the temperature above 18°C in your bedroom overnight
  • Open a window a little at night for ventilation if you use a fire or heater in your bedroom
  • Never use a hot water bottle and electric blanket together
  • Check what type of electric blanket you have - some are designed only to warm the bed before you get in and should not be used throughout the night
  • Make sure your electric blanket is safe to use by getting it tested by the Fire Brigade, Trading Standards or Age UK every three years

For more information go to


Telephone: 01200 425111

Address: Counc-il Of fices, ley Borough Council, Ribbl-e Val Church Walk, Clitheroe, Lancashire, BB7 2RA