Events on Council owned land

The Event guidance note provides information to organisations wishing to arrange an event at a council owned venue. The forms contained within the pack can be used for all events regardless of size, however some parts may not be relevant for smaller events.

The guide gives general advice that should be used when arranging any type of event. However, events can be extremely diverse, ranging from a car boot sale, to a large outdoor carnival and it is likely that additional guidance will be required for specialist events and larger scale activities. If more information is required there are many national associations and clubs who may be able to help.

Ribble Valley Borough Council do not own or control roads and highways. If you are planning an event which takes place on the highway please see Events on private (non council) land.

When staging events, organisers cannot assume the support of the Police, the Fire and Rescue Service and the North West Ambulance Service in running the event.

Events should be planned and organised so that the presence of the emergency services at the event is not required. The 'Ribble Valley Safety Advisory Group' will offer any necessary assistance in the planning stages of the event. To Tell us about your event please complete the Event Information Form.

Event Risk Assessment

Organisers of events have a legal responsibility to ensure the health, safety and welfare of any employees, volunteers or contractors involved in arranging the event and to the public and participants attending.

This should be done by carrying out a detailed risk assessment. All hazards associated with the event should be identified, the level of risk assessed and appropriate action taken to reduce these risks. All events must comply with recognised safety standards and you must take all reasonable precautions to ensure the event takes place safely. A formal record should be kept of the risk assessments.

Any contractors involved in the event should also carry out risk assessments. Where relevant, you should obtain copies of these. More information regarding risk assessments can be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) publications at HSE information Centre, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S3 7HQ. Tel: 01787 881165.