Clitheroe to Hellifield Restoring Your Railways Idea Fund
Restoring Your Railways Idea Fund
In March 2020 the Council, sponsored by Nigel Evans MP, submitted an application to the Department for Transport’s (DfT) Restoring Your Railways Fund which sought ideas to reinstate axed local services and restore closed stations. The submitted Expression of Interest and the Council’s application to the fund are available to download.
The application proposes three options for increasing passenger traffic between Clitheroe and Hellifield:
- To extend the Rochdale - Manchester - Blackburn terminating service to Clitheroe and onto Hellifield; or
- To introduce a new service between Preston – Blackburn – Clitheroe and Hellifield. This service would also complement the existing Preston to Colne all stations service between Preston and Blackburn; or
- To extend services beyond Hellifield to Carlisle.
To successfully deliver the above project the following complementary improvements are also being considered:
- Extend the half hourly service from Manchester to Blackburn through to Clitheroe;
- Provide a direct service between Clitheroe and Preston to support greater connectivity to West Coast Main Line services and in the future HS2 services, as well as employment, training, education and leisure opportunities in Central Lancashire.
On 22 May 2020 the Minister of State for Transport confirmed that the Council’s application had been approved and had progressed to the next stage of the Restoring Your Railway process.
Strategic Outline Business Case
The next stage of the process is to develop a Strategic Outline Business Case. A Project Team, led by Ribble Valley Borough Council, is delivering this project and includes representatives from North Yorkshire County Council, Lancashire County Council, Network Rail, Northern Rail, Community Rail Lancashire and the Department for Transport. Ribble Valley Council have appointed Stantec to undertake the Business Case on its behalf along with Network Rail to undertake the capacity analysis element of the project.
Stantec have already began the process of engaging with Key Stakeholders in respect of the proposals- please see Stakeholder Briefing Note.
In order to fully understand all views on transport options, the full range of existing transport problems and potential options to address these the views of the public are being sought. If you wish to comment on the proposals for reintroducing passenger rail services between Clitheroe and Hellifield along with the other suggested improvements please visit - Clitheroe to Hellifield Strategic Outline Business Case - Public Engagement and provide your feedback. Please note that when providing feedback, no personal details are requested or collected.
If you do not have access to the internet or would prefer a hard copy form to fill out, please contact Fiona Duncan: email@example.com or 0131 297 7019.