Which Council do You Need?
Which Council Does What?
Ribble Valley Borough Council is a district council in a two-tier area.
We therefore have responsibility for some services, whereas other services are the responsibility of Lancashire County Council, and some services are the responsibility of Town and Parish Councils.
Lancashire County Council
The County Council is the main authority for:
- Schools and colleges
- Health and social care
- Libraries and record office
- Roads and highways
- Clitheroe castle museum
The County Council also deal with emergency planning, recreation, economic and tourism development and community planning at a county council level.
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Ribble Valley Borough Council is the main authority for:
- Collection of rubbish and recycling
- Street cleaning and litter collection
- Inspects food premises
- Maintains parks and open spaces
- Runs Ribblesdale Swimming Pool
- Handles enquiries at the Visitor Information Centre
- Has a wide collection of artwork at the Platform Gallery
- Processes planning applications
We also deal with emergency planning, recreation and open spaces, economic and tourism development and community planning at a district council level.
Parish and Town Councils
Parish/ Town Councils are responsible for:
- village halls
- open spaces
- planning - as consultees