Gambling Act 2005

Premises Licence (Gambling)

A premises licence is required where an individual or company proposes to authorise premises to be used for/as:

  • a casino
  • commercial bingo
  • betting premises, including tracks
  • adult gaming centres and
  • family entertainment centres.

The Council, as licensing authority, are responsible for issuing licences for premises situated within the Ribble Valley area.

Who can apply?

An application for a premises licence may only be made by persons, including companies or partnerships, who:

  • have the right to occupy the premises; and
  • hold the appropriate Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission.

An applicant for a premises licence must be over the age of 18.

How do I apply?

Applicants are required to submit an application form together with the fee, a plan of the premises and give notice to the responsible authorities and interested parties. Notice must be given in three ways:

  1. by a notice placed outside the premises for 28 consecutive days in a place where it can be conveniently read
  2. in a local newspaper i.e. The Clitheroe Advertiser and Times, The Lancashire Telegraph or the Longridge News on at least one occasion within 10 days of the application being made
  3. to all responsible authorities within seven days of the application being made 

How will my application be determined?

If there are no representations from either a responsible authority or interested party, then the application can be granted without a hearing. If a relevant representation is made then the application will be determined by the council's licensing sub-committee (unless all parties have agreed this is not necessary).

What form will the licence take?

A premises licence will include the following information:

  • the name of the person to whom it is issued
  • a home or business address of that person
  • the premises to which it relates
  • the activities for which it authorises the premises to be used
  • any condition attached by the licensing authority
  • any default condition excluded by the licensing authority
  • include a plan of the premises
  • the period (if any) at the end of which the licence will expire

How long will the licence last?

A premises licence, unless granted for a limited time only, remains in force until it:

  • is surrendered
  • is revoked for failure to pay a fee
  • lapses
  • is suspended or revoked following a review

The holder of a premises licence must also pay an annual fee to the licensing authority before each anniversary of the issue of the licence.

Licensing Officer

Address: Council Offices
Ribble Valley Borough Council
Church Walk

Telephone: 01200 414454