Tenancy Protection Scheme
What is the tenancy protection scheme?
The Scheme is aimed at households who cannot afford the bond required to rent private rented accommodation. The Council guarantee the bond and rent allowing you to access privately rented housing you may otherwise not be able to afford.
What is a bond?
A bond is not a transfer of cash, but a written guarantee issued by Ribble Valley Borough Council on your behalf. It provides a guarantee to the landlord that if at the end of the tenancy there is any damage or rent arrears the Council will reimburse the landlord up to the value of the bond (maximum £800)
Who can apply?
- Anyone aged 18 or over, who lives or works in the Ribble Valley, who cannot afford the bond
- People who agree to keep the terms of the Tenancy Agreement.
- People with no previous rent arrears
What are the benefits of the scheme for the tennant?
- Wider housing options
- Assistance completing housing benefit claims, and monitoring of the claim
- a house that is safety checked, affordable and of a good standard
- Advice and assistance in setting up the tenancy and yuor rights as a tenant
What are the benefits of the scheme for the landlord?
- Assist client in making accurate housing benefit claims, including verification where required
- Work closely with housing benefit in order to reduce delays and to ensure swift payment of benefit
- Support for tenants in sustaining their tenancies, including budgeting, bill payment and utility connection
- Clear advice on the rights and responsibilities involved in letting properties
- Guaranteed payment should there by any rent arrears or damage at the end of the tenancy.
Apply for a tenancy protection scheme
Please complete the Tenancy Protection Scheme application form.