Water Supplies

If you have a problem with your water supply please report it to United Utilities:

If you believe the issue has a public health implication please let us know at contact@ribblevalley.gov.uk or telephone 01200 414470.

Consumer Council for Water North West

If you are not satisfied with the service provided by United Utilities a complaint can be reported to Water Voice North West at:

Water Voice produces an annual report, which can be viewed at www.watervoice.org.uk.  

Private Water Supplies

Private water supplies are those that are not provided by United Utilities.

Private supplies tend to serve isolated, remote properties or small communities. There are approximately 310 private water supplies in Ribble Valley.

The Regulations classify private water supplies into three groups known as:

  • Reg 9 Supplies: applies to large domestic supplies of >10m3 per day (or serving 50 or more persons) and private water supplies of any size that are used as part of a commercial or public activity. These require sampling a minimum of once a year and a five-yearly risk assessment.
  • Reg 10 Supplies: applies to domestic supplies which service more than one property but provide less than 10m3 per day. These require a risk assessment and sampling for a smaller range of parameters once every five years.
  • Single Dwelling Supply: are risk assessed and sampled only if requested by the householder.

The costs of risk assessments, sampling and analysis are passed on to the person responsible for the supply.

Please see the Defra guidance on Prviate Water Supplies or the Ribble Valley Guidance on the Private Water Supplies Regulations for further information.