Council Tax Energy Rebate

Support with energy costs: £150 Council Tax rebate

The Government has announced a one-off payment of £150 for certain households to support with rising energy bills, known as the Council Tax rebate.

The rebate does not need to be repaid.

Eligible households must live in a property in a Council Tax band A - D. Empty properties and second homes are not eligible for the payment.  Further information about the eligibility criteria for this scheme can be found at  Support for energy bills - the council tax rebate 2022-23: billing authority guidance - GOV.UK (

You can check which band your property is in on the GOV.UK website.

Households in bands A - D who pay by Direct Debit do not need to apply for the rebate as £150 will be paid directly into your bank account.

If you are not already paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit, you can set up a direct debit.

Households in bands A - D not currently paying by Direct Debit will be contacted directly with instructions on how to apply for the rebate.


We have now issued letters to taxpayers who may be eligible for the £150 energy rebate who we haven’t been able to pay automatically. To be eligible for the rebate the property must be your sole or main residence and in Council Tax bands A to D. Properties where the liable party is not resident at the address are not eligible for the rebate e.g. Unoccupied properties, second homes and houses of multiple occupation.

The letter will direct you to an online portal where you will be asked for your name, Council Tax account number (which can be found on your latest bill) and a unique access code that is contained in the letter. Please ensure that you enter your Council Tax account number correctly as if you do not it will result in a delay in paying the rebate.

You will then be asked for details of the bank account where the payment will be made and to confirm that you are eligible for the rebate. Please do not complete the form if you do not meet the eligibility criteria. The Government are requiring us to do checks on the bank account provided so please ensure that it is in the name of the Council Taxpayer and is registered at the address that the rebate is for. The checks required may take some time so we aim to make payments to eligible taxpayers within 28 days of the claim being made. It may not be possible to do so in all cases and we may need to contact you for further information.

The rebate will appear in your bank account from Ribble Valley B C – Energy Reb and the Council Tax account number of the property.

If you are having difficulty providing your account details please contact us on 01200 425111 or email We anticipate that we will be really busy dealing with queries so please bear with us. The online form is very simple to complete and if you are able to get a friend or relative to help you to make your claim that will result in your rebate being paid as soon as possible.   

The Government has provided Ribble Valley Borough Council with a limited amount of discretionary funding (£88,500) to provide support to some households in bands E to H and to provide additional support to the most vulnerable households. Due to the limited amount of this funding, we have determined that the best use of these funds will be to make a payment of £150 to Council Tax Support recipients in bands E to H and to pay a £30 top up to all recipients of Local Council Tax support irrespective of what band they are in.

Further information about how these payments will be made will be posted as soon as we are able to do so.