Planning for Businesses

Farms and Agriculture planning

Agriculture is defined under Planning law as including:

  • horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming
  • the breeding and keeping of livestock
  • the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, market gardens or nursery grounds
  • the use of land for woodlands where that use is ancillary to the farming of land for other agricultural purposes

If you think you need planning permission see Do I need planning permission? and download the correct agricultural planning form

Agricultural dwellings

Planning permission is always needed to create new dwellings. You should also check the District wide Local Plan as this contains many policies relating to housing. 

In determining an application for an agricultural dwelling we will consult with Lancashire County Council Rural Estates office to assess whether there is a proven need for the new building.

If permission is granted for an agricultural dwelling it is likely to include an occupancy condition that states that only agricultural workers can live there.

You can also view our supplementary planning guidance for Agricultural Buildings and roads in relation to the Districtwide Local Plan. 


Most forms of diversification will require planning permission as you are changing the use of the land or buildings from agricultural. This includes:

  • conversion of farm buildings
  • holiday accommodation
  • stables for horses
  • caravan sites
  • farm shops
  • amenity lakes


It is always advisable to consult the Development Control department before applying for any planning permission contact planning.