Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Appeals: What to do if you disagree with a decision for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support

It is not our decision when your rent costs are met through Universal Credit. You need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you disagree with a decision we have made you have one calendar month to:

  • Ask for an explanation
  • Ask for the decision to be looked at again
  • Appeal about Housing Benefit to an independent tribunal
  • Appeal about Council Tax Support to the Valuation Tribunal Service

If you disagree with, or do not understand the notification letter you can contact us for a more detailed explanation. You can get in touch with us by telephone 01200 425111 in writing or by calling into the Council offices, Church Walk, Clitheroe or email us on benefits@ribblevalley.gov.uk. We will explain how we made the decision and what information was used. If we put the explanation in writing this is called a "statement of reasons."

If you still disagree you can ask us to look at the decision again. You must request this in writing within one calendar month of the date of the original decision. A different officer will look at your claim again and check that the decision is correct. We will then send you a letter to confirm the original decision or amend the decision if necessary. We will let you know in writing if there is a new decision and if you do not agree with this new decision, you can ask us to look at it again.

If you still disagree you can appeal to an independent tribunal. If you appeal against a decision and after reconsideration we believe our decision was correct, the appeal will be heard by an appeal tribunal. You should appeal in writing giving full reasons for your appeal.

We will write a response setting out the facts of the case and include copies of all relevant papers. The response and papers will be sent to you and any representative.

The tribunal is completely independent of the benefits section and is there to look at your case again and decide if we have made the correct decision.

For further information on the appeals process see HM Courts and Tribunal Service

You can only appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service for Your Council Tax Support after you have written to us. 

If you require help with an appeal you can contact Citizens Advice Bureau or Benefits Advice Service.