Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

What is Alternative Maximum Council Tax Support?

Alternative Maximum Council Tax Support is a reduction in your council tax bill based on the income of other people who live with you and are over 18 years old. You must be solely responsible for the council tax (for example, you do not have a partner)

Would I be entitled to this if I don't qualify for Housing and Council Tax Support?

Yes, if you do not qualify for assistance with your rent or council tax you may be eligible for Alternative Maximum Council Tax Support based on the income of other adults in your property.

Some people who are part of your household and over the age of 18 are disregarded for council tax purposes and therefore we cannot award second adult rebate if someone in your household is:

  • a full time student
  • severely mentally impaired
  • currently in prison

If you would like more information contact benefits@ribblevalley.gov.uk or 01200 425111.

The amount of second adult rebate that is granted depends on the gross income of other adults living in the property who are not responsible for paying the rent or council tax.

Based on the income of the second adult you could be entitled to a 25%, 15% or 7.5% reduction from your annual council tax bill. This will be subject to a further 12% reduction see Council Tax Support Scheme.