Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

When will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support be Paid?

Benefit Payments

Benefit payments will be paid as normal over the Christmas and New Year period.

Benefit is normally paid from the Monday following the receipt of the claim. Benefit cannot normally be backdated unless you can satisfy us that you had good cause for not claiming earlier. For more information please refer to Backdating.

If you are a housing association tenant your Housing Benefit can be paid directly to your landlord, but we require confirmation from yourself and your landlord that you agree to direct payments being made.

If you are a private tenant not covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations (existing claims before April 2008) Housing Benefit can be paid direct to your landlord but again we need signed confirmation from you both.

Claims made after 7 April 2008 are covered by Local Housing Allowance (LHA) regulations and payments are made to the tenant. There are a few exceptions to safeguard vulnerable groups.

In all cases payment of Housing Benefit is made four weekly in arrears by BACS (directly in to your bank account).

Awards of Council Tax Support are credited directly to your council tax account and a new bill will be issued with revised payment details.