Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

What is Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support?

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and council tax. It is paid by Ribble Valley Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government for housing benefit and set out in the Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) Regulations 2012 for Council Tax Support.

Could I be entitled to help with my rent and council tax payments?

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are:

  • a pensioner (receiving the State Retirement Pension)
  • council tenant
  • paying rent to a private landlord - see the Tenancy Protection Scheme
  • Housing Association tenant
  • living in a hostel
  • paying for board and lodgings
  • of working age and living in temporary or supported accommodation

From 27 January 2021 If you make a new claim for Housing Benefit and you are in receipt of a Severe Disability Premium you will need to apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.

You do not have to be unemployed or unable to work, you can apply if you are working and earning a low wage.

From the 24 November 2014 most working age people will have to claim Universal Credit instead of housing benefit for help with their housing costs.

Contacting us

From 24 March 2020 you can contact us by email at benefits@ribblevalley.gov.uk or by telephone on 01200 425111.

For more information see Housing Benefit Direction Electronic Communication.

You can claim council tax support if you are

  • a home-owner
  • liable to pay council tax

If you own your own home we are unable to assist with your mortgage payments. You will have to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if you require this help.

Who cannot claim?

  • People with savings over £16,000 (except those in receipt of the guaranteed credit part of the pension credit)
  • People living with or paying board to a close relative (although Alternative Maximum Council Tax Support may be claimed)
  • People who are from outside the UK who do not have recourse to public funds
  • There are special rules for students and people living in residential/nursing homes