Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Reporting a Change in Circumstances for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you currently receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support and there is a change in any of your personal or household circumstances, you must let us know as soon as possible.

If you fail to notify us of the change within one calendar month, and this change results in more Housing and Council Tax Support, we will apply the change from the following Monday after notification. If your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support reduces as a result of the change, we will go back to the date your circumstances changed. If you fail to notify us on time and you are overpaid Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, you will have to pay this back.

Here are some examples of changes in circumstance that you must report to Ribble Valley Borough Council within one calendar month:

  • any change to the household income and savings
  • if anyone joins or leaves the household
  • any changes in rent
  • any temporary or permanent absence from home
  • any temporary absence from home outside of Great Britain
  • any hospitalisation of you or your partner
  • any change in the Tax Credit you receive
  • if you start or stop getting Universal Credit

This list is not exhaustive. If in doubt let us know of any change. We will confirm if it affects your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support. If you tell The Department for Work and Pensions or The Inland Revenue of any change in circumstance you must also inform Ribble Valley Borough Council in writing or by email to benefits@ribblevalley.gov.uk.

Changes in circumstances can also be reported to Ribble Valley Borough Council by telephone on 01200 425111 and you will then normally be asked to provide confirmation in writing or by email. 

Moving address

You should let us know as soon as possible if you are moving address. You can complete the Benefits Change of Address form or call 01200 425111. If you rent from a private landlord you will need to supply your new tenancy agreement. 

If you have had other changes in your circumstances since last time you claimed then a new benefits application form should be completed.

Income support/Job Seekers Allowance has stopped

If Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Income Support has ceased then a new benefits application form should be completed and returned as soon as possible.

You should also provide proof of your new income and any savings you may have.

If you have been receiving benefits and start work or increase your hours and benefit ends there are certain rules that may apply:

  • Extended Payments - Your housing and council tax support may continue for four weeks if you have received one of the above benefits for at least 26 weeks without a break and your job is likely to last at least five weeks. Tell jobcentreplus as soon as possible when you start work and tell us too. The sooner you let us know the sooner we can check if you are entitled to an extended payment.

  • In-work claim - You may still be entitled to some housing and council tax support depending on the level of your earnings and Tax Credits. You will need to provide details of your income and capital and complete a Benefits Change of Circumstances Form

What happens if there are changes to the people living with me?

If you or your partner leave the household, then a new form should be completed by the person remaining in the home. It will be likely that your income will have changed and details and proof will be required.

If a non-dependant or a dependant leave the household, you need to contact us to let us know what date they left and their forwarding address on 01200 425111.

This is also the case if a boarder, tenant, sub-tenant or carer leave.

The service may not be able to remove someone from an address without details of their forwarding address and if you are unable to provide a forwarding address you will have to provide an explanation.

We need to be informed of all changes in your circumstances as soon as possible. If you delay, you may lose benefit.

In all cases it is your duty to notify us of all changes in circumstances.

What happens if there are changes in my income or savings?

If your savings and/or income has changed (not Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance) you should contact us, notify us either in writing or directly on 01200 425111. We will require you to provide proof. If you are in receipt of Pension Credits you will need to notify the Pension Service of any changes, contact them on 0845 6060 265.

What happens if there is a change in my rent?

If private rent charges change then you should confirm the rent changes in writing. Proof of the new rent level will be required.

To submit a Report a Change in Circumstance form.

Contact us 

To contact us about any changes contact 01200 425111 or benefits@ribblevalley.gov.uk.

Alternatively you can visit the council offices  Monday to Friday 8.45am - 5.00pm

Council Offices,
Church Walk,
BB7 2LW 


Telephone: 01200 425111

Address: Ribbl-e Val ley Borough Council, fices, Counc-il Of Council Offices, Clitheroe, Lancashire, BB7 2RA